Re-drafting

Re-drafting

So far my songwriting process has relied heavily on getting a small spark of inspiration whether it’s a melody like I had with the first song I demo’d and working from that to create a full track around it or even just a theme of what I want to write about.

I had struggled to come up with anything original today and with time stretching ever on, I looked back at one track which I had originally throw away. This was a track which I had initially presented during my CMP presentation last year. The track was originally intended to be written from my fathers point of view since Jimmy Webb had mentioned in his book that most songs are written from a point of view I felt this would be a good idea to try and incorporate into the project purely for experimentation purposes.

When looking back at the draft lyrics and chords I had written I immediately wanted to make revisions. I could remember the melody which is what had brought me back to the song but when I looked at it I noticed that it plainly looked like it had been written with a “guitar playing” mentality. There were a lot of chords when really the melody only really in my opinion needed two or three.

With this in mind I scrapped most of the chords I had written for the verse section and simplified it to just two chords, I had also been reading about techniques that were prevalent in The Beatles songwriting. They often used the first chord in a key and the fifth key in order to create a bit of tension and release so I tried this out. It didn’t have a dramatic overall impact over the song but I thought it sounded good so I kept it in.

Some of the lyrics also got re-written so the melody flows a bit better, even although I’ve not really written many sets of lyrics yet looking back to the original draft of this song there were some glaring errors I had made. I suppose that’s some good progress though here’s a demo that I recorded quickly today, it’s not the best quality.

My First Demo (Take 2)

I finally got a chance to record a more developed version of the first demo I posted in an earlier entry.

This version encompasses a “full band” type of set up there’s a drum machine providing a beat (albeit a basic one at the moment), bass guitar, rhythm guitar and also myself singing.

Regarding the issues I had mentioned in my previous entry, I managed to extend the song a little by adding in an intro and adding in a few cycles through chord progressions before the singing comes in at certain points. While The length of the track is only extended slightly it still seems better to me. Right now I’m thinking of other possibilities that may help to extend the track even further.

Listening to my own singing in this track, it is evident I do not have a natural talent. However I hope that the melody is at least recognizable to an extent as I do wish to further develop this skill and I believe that writing melodies and actually singing them myself is one of the best ways to accomplish this.

My First Demo

So here’s my first demo, the quality is a bit poor. I ended up recording it on my phone because I didn’t have time to setup my microphone and amp.

At this point in the songs development a demo like this might be for the best, it gave me a chance to see how long the song lasted (clocked in at just over 2 minutes) and let me hear how well the sections went together. The only problem is the vocals aren’t as clear so I can’t make out if my singing is passable. There will be a better quality demo recorded over the next few days when I’ve put in a bit more work to the arrangement some more.

The main aims at the moment are to increase the length of the song, the song follows the standard intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/double chorus format which I’m sure is mentioned in the Webb book, but it still seems too short and I’m not really sure why.

I had a look online and a general consensus seems to be that it’s easier to shorten a song than extend it and that a pop song should be between 3 to 4 minutes. While I have no aspirations of turning any of my songs into chart smashes I still think the song needs to be longer, which is something I plan to work on.