So here’s my first demo, the quality is a bit poor. I ended up recording it on my phone because I didn’t have time to setup my microphone and amp.
At this point in the songs development a demo like this might be for the best, it gave me a chance to see how long the song lasted (clocked in at just over 2 minutes) and let me hear how well the sections went together. The only problem is the vocals aren’t as clear so I can’t make out if my singing is passable. There will be a better quality demo recorded over the next few days when I’ve put in a bit more work to the arrangement some more.
The main aims at the moment are to increase the length of the song, the song follows the standard intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/double chorus format which I’m sure is mentioned in the Webb book, but it still seems too short and I’m not really sure why.
I had a look online and a general consensus seems to be that it’s easier to shorten a song than extend it and that a pop song should be between 3 to 4 minutes. While I have no aspirations of turning any of my songs into chart smashes I still think the song needs to be longer, which is something I plan to work on.